Date Posted: April 16, 2018
Open Until Filled
Student Intern - Stormwater Quality
Gain valuable experience while going to school!
Applications are now being accepted for a Student Intern to serve in the Stormwater Quality Section of the Engineering Department at Ada County Highway District in the Boise, Idaho area. This is a paid intern position with a wage of $12.00 per hour.
The Student Intern position is available to full-time students only. The work hours are flexible, and are scheduled around each studentÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s classes and school responsibilities. Student Interns may work a maximum of 24 hours per week during the school year, and 40 hours per week during the summer and other school breaks. Student Interns may continue their Internship over multiple years of school as long as they continue to be full-time students.
- The Intern will support the Stormwater monitoring program by assisting in sampling event preparation; coordinating with laboratory personnel for sampling supplies, stocking field boxes, preparing equipment and calibrating meters.
- Assists with downloading and maintaining station equipment, data entry, QA/QC and updating equipment inventories.
- Also assists in the inspection/investigation of storm drain outfalls. Outfall investigation involves using maps, written directions, and photos to locate previously identified outfalls and document characteristics of the outfall and record observation that may impact water quality.
- Assists in collecting samples of dry weather flows from storm drain outfalls and identifying sources of flow as necessary.
- Requires strong organizational and note-taking skills, ability to carry and lift up to 45 pounds, able to walk/hike safely on uneven terrain, ability to read and interpret drainage related maps, and have some knowledge and understanding of Boise area hydrology.
- Must be able to work independently in a field environment, including inclement weather conditions.
- Strong problem solving skills are desired.
- Knowledge of computers and ability to learn new software readily is desired.
- Familiarity with electronics and environmental sensors is also a plus.
- Students with a Geo Sciences, Biology, or Environmental Sciences major or a related major are preferred.
- Must have a valid Idaho Driver's License and be at least 18 years old.
Temporary Position Application Process
Seasonal/Temporary positions working with ACHD are hired through a temporary agency, and are not
employees of ACHD. A completed Seasonal/Temporary
Position Interest Form is required (not an ACHD employment application), and must be submitted to ACHD's Human Resources for the selection process.
The Seasonal/Temporary Position Interest Forms are available at the ACHD's Administration Building, located at
3775 Adams Street, Garden City, ID 83714, or through this link Seasonal/Temporary
Position Interest Form.
An AA/EEO/ADA Employer
Preference may be given to veterans who qualify under state and federal laws and regulations