Tuesday, September 10, 2013
Meridian- Motorists traveling through two busy intersections in Meridian will notice a big reduction in delays Wednesday morning when all travel lanes at the Fairview/Main and Meridian/Cherry intersections open to traffic.
Intersections to Re-Open Wednesday on Meridian Split Corridor Project
The intersections have been under construction since late February as part of the Meridian Split Corridor Phase 2 project. The intersections were widened to include additional thru and turn lanes to accommodate the new Meridian Road configuration, which includes five lanes from Cherry Lane, south to the railroad tracks.
While work at the intersections will be finished, other portions of the project remain under construction; however, substantial completion is planned for Sept. 19. Some finishing work will continue at the roadside.
Motorists traveling south on Main Street will continue to be routed west on Pine or Broadway and onto Meridian Road through Sept. 19.
The $8.5 million project to widen Meridian Road and make major upgrades to the City of Meridian sewer and water services began in October 2012. The project will be finished one month ahead of schedule. A project dedication event is planned for the morning of Sept. 19, when the new cross-over roadway, connecting Main Street to Meridian Road, will be opened. Additional details will follow.
About the Project
The Meridian Split Corridor, Phase 2 project and the City of Meridian Public Works project will:
For more information on the project, visit www.meridiansplitcorridor.org or www.achdidaho.org.
- Construct a cross-over roadway, connecting Main Street and Meridian Road, just south of the railroad tracks, which will send through traffic toward Meridian Road and away from Downtown
- Widen Meridian Road to five lanes between Franklin Road and Cherry Lane
>>North of the cross-over roadway, Meridian Road will include two travel lanes in each direction and a center turn lane
- Add 7-foot-wide sidewalks on Meridian Road
- Rebuild the Main/Fairview and Meridian/Cherry intersections
- Upgrade Meridian sewer and water services to increase capacity and enhance services