Project Update September 2016
Noise Study & Sound Wall
A study completed as part of the project shows traffic noise in the project area currently exceeds state and federal noise policy standards in some locations and is expected to increase as traffic increases over the next 20 years. The study concluded that a sound wall on the south side of State Street will reduce noise impacts to the Edgewater Apartments. ACHD worked closely with the owners of the apartments and came to an agreement to build the sound wall as part of the project.
The agreement allows ACHD to move forward with the following schedule:
Environmental Evaluation Approval – Fall 2016
Final Design – Fall 2016 to Summer 2017
Right-of-way negotiation/purchase – Summer/Fall 2017
Construction – Fall 2018 to Fall 2019
Materials from May 28, 2015 Open House & Public Hearing
Click here to watch a video on how the new intersection will work at State and Collister.
State and Collister Intersection Open House & Public Hearing
- May 28 | 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- ACHD Offices | 3775 Adams Street, Garden City*
The Ada County Highway District (ACHD) is seeking comments on the new intersection design for State Street and Collister Drive. The design, based on the Alignment 1- Realignment concept approved by the ACHD Commission in November 2014, includes safety improvements at the intersection for those that bicycle, walk, drive and use transit.
Community input is important! Residents are encouraged to attend the meeting, view the design and provide comments. Attendees will have the option of providing oral testimony to a hearing officer on a one-on-one basis or submitting written comments.
*Adams Street between 40th and 38th streets may be closed for construction. Please use 37th Street off of Chinden Boulevard to access Adams Street.
On November 12, 2014 the ACHD Commission approved Alignment 1 - Realignment with the following Commission-directed actions for possible inclusion as the design develops:
- Add a hard-scaped median for left turns into the shopping center from State Street.
- Retain the westbound bus stop.
- Add a signalized crossing or signal at Wylie Lane/Sycamore and State Street, though outside the boundaries of the recommended realignment.
- Add signage along State Street to make up for the loss of frontage, incorporate into one center.
- Priority should be given to limit conflicts between pedestrians and vehicles.
- Discuss what will happen with people on the south side of State Street.
- Provide ingress/egress to On the Fly where Collister is today.
Opportunity for Public Input: State and Collister to be presented to ACHD Commission Nov. 12
ACHD Commission Meeting
Wednesday, November 12, 2014 | Noon
ACHD Auditorium | 3775 Adams St., Garden City
At the October 22nd Commission meeting, the ACHD Commission asked staff to meet with stakeholders to consider more input on the staff’s recommended realignment of the intersection as the preferred alternative. Two workshops were held with stakeholders to discuss issues and brainstorm suggestions and potential revisions to the realignment alternative.
As a result, the State and Collister Intersection Project will again be presented to the Ada County Highway District (ACHD) Commissioners on Wednesday, November 12th at noon for a decision on which alignment option to adopt. Taking into consideration public opinion, long-range transportation plans, capital investment, property/business access impacts, and the best and safest alternative for all users of the roadway, ACHD staff will recommend Alignment 1 – Realignment to the Commissioners.
The Commission meeting will begin at noon; however, this project is one of several agenda items and may not be the first item discussed. ACHD staff will make a brief presentation, including a summary of what was heard from the stakeholders, followed by an opportunity for public comment before the Commission takes action.
August 18, 2014 Open House
Learn about the proposed State and Collister intersection project! Materials from the open house can be found to the right under "Related Documents."
The State Street and Collister Drive intersection provides connectivity between various neighborhoods north of State Street and the businesses along State Street. ACHD is proposing safety improvements to the intersection for all users - motorists, pedestrians, bicyclists and transit users.
- Develop and evaluate intersection alternatives to improve safety for all users.
- Improve/possibly realign Collister Drive approach.
- Includes the State Street Bridge #90B, located to the west of Collister Drive.
- This is a federal aid project.
- Improve safety of the intersection
- Gain stakeholder consensus through a public involvement process
- Coordinate adjacent land uses (current and future) with the intersection design
State Street studies